The Importance of SPF
SPF is always a hot topic. We’ve spoken about it quite a few times on our social media and SPF is a huge talking point within the healthcare and beauty industry and it won’t be going away any time soon.
When you are growing up, you tend to only think of SPF when it comes to your summer holiday. I’m sure many of us went through that stage in your teens when Hawaiin Tropics Factor 10 oil was all we wanted when it came to frying ourselves all day on a Greek Island…
But times have changed, skincare is more important than ever and SPF is our best friend, come rain or shine. Most importantly, as the skin on our face is the most delicate, we need to educate ourselves on what we can be doing to take care of our skin, protect it from UV rays and stop the ageing process, ASAP.
So what exactly do UV rays do that is harmful to our skin?
- UV rays begin a process called photo-aging, which is aging of the skin due to exposure to radiation from the sun (UV).
- Break down collagen in the skin. We know collagen is a protein that is incredibly important to protect, in order for our skin to stay looking youthful, fresh and rejuvenated. Without collagen, your skin is more likely to produce wrinkles and fine lines.
- Increases DNA damage to skin cells – this process can potentially lead to skin cancer. When you burn, this speeds up this process and can lead to sever skin damage, quicker.
What do SPF’s do exactly and why do we need to wear it every day, even when we’re sat in our overcast gardens, or inside…
- SPF’s blocks out the above harmful effects from UV rays.
- It protects your skin cells, minimising the breakdown of your skins’ proteins such as collagen and keratin.
- Protects you against the signs of aging – discouraging fine lines and wrinkles from forming.
- Even when we’re inside, we’re exposed to UV rays through light through our windows – it doesn’t block it out!
We often want to avoid SPF’s because as I said above, they remind us of smothering ourselves in thick, greasy Piz Buin when we’re happily sipping cocktails on holiday. Some people avoid them completely to avoid oily skin concerns, as their greasy and thick texture can cause pores to clog, leaving them with breakouts. But we’re here to let you know there are SPF’s out there that actually leave your skin smooth, plump and fresh, whilst giving you the protection you need.
We’ve got a range of SPF products that are nourishing for your skin and yet still give it the protection it needs. Here’s our go-to guide:
For your daily hydration and protection…
Perfect for before makeup and after serums, this lightweight hydrator is the final step in your daily skincare routine. This mineral-based SPF 30 moisturiser contains a unique form of zinc oxide that absorbs quickly into the skin, delivering broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection, lasting hydration and antioxidant defense without any residue. It̥’s perfect for dry, redness-prone and sensitive skin.
For a fight against blemishes and breakouts…
This SPF is another delicate one - yet contains your essential Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs), namely lactic, and is specifically recommended for hyper-pigmented skin. This product contains sunscreens and reflectants provide a sun protection of SPF15.
- Can safely be used on problematic skin
- Mildly exfoliates for a clearer skin with finer texture
- Minimises the build-up of bacteria, which can lead to breakouts
- Softens and smoothes the skin
- Promotes the growth of new skin cells
- Lactic acid, inhibits the formation of melanin
- Preservative free
For antioxidant benefits…
Environ RAD sunscreen is a sun protection cream. The filters and reflectants contained in this product provide a SPF 15 while natural antioxidant vitamins increase sun protection and assist in fighting free-radicals.
- Contains organic sun filters, namely Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane (UV-A) and, Octyl Methoxycinnamate (UV-B)
- Contains antioxidants, beta-carotene and vitamins C and E.
- Contains Titanium Dioxide
For a matte look…
Oil-free, broad-spectrum UVA/UVB which delivers high sun protection in a mattifying, antioxidant-rich base that̥’s perfect for oily and acne-prone skin types. Micro-sponge technology absorbs surface oils and gives skin a flawless, shine-free finish. It doubles as a protective primer to create a healthy glow before makeup application.
For STRONG daily protection..
This high-level sunscreen offers effective protection against damaging UV rays. It̥’s an ideal choice for sports, outdoor activities and high sun exposure, yet gentle enough for post-procedure skin. It contains SPF 50 along with a blend of plant stem cells and potent antioxidants to protect skin against the effects of free radical damage caused by environmental exposure.
For an SPF with a hint of colour…
This daily tinted moisturiser delivers broad-spectrum pure mineral protection against the sun̥s’ harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Formulated with Digital Aging Defence to help fight against the effects of blue light and environmental skin stressors. This is a sheer tinted formula which spreads easily, delivering a hint of colour that subtly evens out skin tone and gives the skin a healthy glow.
We hope we’ve encouraged you to take more care when it comes to protecting your skin against the suns’ harmful UV rays. We know it’s an amazing feeling when you catch the sun and you have a radiant glow, but in the long term, your skins health is most important.
SPF does stop the majority of UV rays coming through (depending upon the strength), but you can still catch a glow, so don’t put your tan first when it comes to skin protection!
For more information on our SPF products you can contact us on Instagram (@rebeccajadebeauty) or on firstname.lastname@example.org.